Bottle gourd cooked with lentils
January 16, 2020 Veg Recipes
- Bottle gourd- 750 gms
- Chana dal – 200 gms
- Green chilly – 2
- Onion – 1 1/2 medium sized
- Tomato – 1 medium size
- Garlic cloves – 4 pcs
- Ginger – 1 inch finely chopped
- Anardana / pomegranate seeds- 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Dry mango powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Roasted cumin powder – 1/2
- Pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Garam masala – 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves
- Salt as per taste
- Firstly wash the chana dal and then put it into the cooker to it add 250 ml of water ,salt slit green chilly, add half sliced onion, turmeric leaves, garlic cloves ,chopped ginger and a bay leaf. Close the lid and cook up to 4 whistles.
- After 4 whistles turn off the flame and let it cool once cool remove the lid and mash up the dal/ lentil.
- Now add the bottle gourd to the lentil and cook for just 1 whistle. In the meanwhile heat the mustard oil and add the cumin seeds and let it splutter then add 1 finely sliced onion.
- Now once the onion are slightly golden add tomatoes to it and cook till the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Now if the whistle has come turn off the flame and let the cooker cool down if done now empty the in the tomatoes mixture and to it add roasted cumin powder , pepper powder,dry mango powder, anardana and garam masala mix well.
- Check the salt if ok mix it well. And bring it to boil after that add chopped coriander leaves. And close the lid. Turn of the flame. It’s ready to serve. Enjoy it as a soup or with rice or Chapatti.